ColourPop Ultra Matte Lips Liquid Lipstick Review + Swatches

Monday, September 21, 2015

After much irritation and stress, I finally got to purchasing the new Ultra Matte Lips Liquid Lipstick by ColourPop Cosmetics. If you follow me on Twitter, you probably saw my posts about how upset I was that their site crashed and how I couldn't place my order. Now, about a month and a half later, I finally received them. I also purchased their Lip Primer that I've reviewed here

I was really interested in these liquid lipsticks, as opposed to the other million on the market, because of their price point. Each of these is $6. Other brands are about $20 each, and y'all know thats wayyyy up (Riley Curry voice) out of my budget. The color selection, 25 shades, is also really nice.  Update: They have since added 8 new shades to the line, limited edition for the fall. After looking and looking at swatches I decided on Ouiji, Pacific, Mars, Tulle, & Creeper. Lets get into what I think of them!
Ouiji | a bright coral pinkish red
This one has a crumbly and patchy formula. It went on patchy and went I tried to make it fully opaque, it crumbled on my lips. The color is okay, but I would have been more open to wearing it if the formula was better.
_

Pacifica true bright, neon orange
I was really excited to get this orange shade because they can look great on dark skin. Not the case here. The color is a BRIGHT neon orange. It also had a very patchy application, and it crumbled the same as Ouiji. The color and formula enable me to give this one a thumbs down. 
_

Mars | a bright fuchsia red
Magenta shades like this are my favorite to wear. This shade was great on me. The formula was a bit streaky but could be built up to become fully opaque. Great shade, one of my favorites. It reminds me on MAC's Flat Out Fabulous lipstick that I've been lusting after for a while now.
_

Creeper | a classic blue-based red
I love this color. It's formula was the same as Mars, a bit streaky but can be built up. It's a blue-based red that is really flattering on dark skin. It is very similar to MAC's Ruby Woo. This one is also a favorite of mine.
_

Tulle | a dusty mauve burgundy
Tulle had the best application of them all. Went on smoothly and dried to a great deep mauve brown shade. I'll be wearing this shade during the fall definitely. It's a great option for us deep-brown girls and is my third favorite!
_


These come in a tube with a doe-foot applicator. I love the boxes these came with too, they featured a nice hologram lettering. Universally these had a thin formula, not too much of an issue for me. Some of the tubes were a bit full and leaked a bit, but nothing too crazy. This is something I've heard of from many who purchased these and from other bloggers as well. These work best on lips that are dry and exfoliated or lips with a lip primer on them. Nothing oily like vaseline or chapstick. I used the ColourPop Lippie Stix Primer. Once dried down to matte, these don't budge or transfer.


I like these, though I wish I only purchased Mars, Tulle, and Creeper. These are shades that I know I'll wear often. I also love their very nice matte finish. The other two, Ouija and Pacific, could have stayed with ColourPop. They will take effort to wear. I think these are a great option for those who do not want to spend $20+ for other brand's liquid lipsticks. I love the price point! If you are interested in ordering from ColourPop, you can get $5 off using the code "THANKSBABE". You also get free shipping with orders $30 and up. 

Note: I think that this will be my last order from ColourPop. Their shipping is way too unreliable for me. I don't think that I should have to wait 2+ weeks for products and basically fight my computer just to place an order. I ordered these on July 29th, my order shipped on August 8th and got to me August 14th. I just feel that the brand has some serious customer service/shipping improvements to make now that they have gotten so popular and their prices are so inexpensive. #JustMyOpinion. 

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. You picked some beautiful colors! I have a list of shades I want to try from them x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to try these liquid lipstick out. Also, I love your blog , i really enjoy it because a women of colour blog. I also have a blog, I just started out, but if you would like to check it out here is is http://allthingsbeautybymaame.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

AD SPACE


FEATURED